Monday, March 5, 2012

Not another boring genealogy!

“A record of the genealogy of Jesus Christ the son of David, the son of Abraham:”

“Therefore, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, it seemed good also to me to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus,”

“the son of Enosh, the son of Seth, the son of Adam, the son of God.”

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning.”

Each of the Gospel authors wanted to trace Jesus back to "the beginning". For Matthew, that meant tracing His genealogy back to David. For Luke, it meant putting together an orderly account of the events of Jesus' life and also tracing His genealogy back to the first man, Adam. John points out that Jesus was with God at the very beginning of all things. Jesus is eternal, yet he is also very present in time.

Jesus is as human as can be. Every story of the Bible involves Jesus in some way. Every year that I read through the Bible, I'm amazed at the places I see Jesus. Jesus also exists outside of time; He is the Alpha and the Omega. As I launch this new blog I trust that we might be more and more aware of Jesus who exists both in time and outside of it.

1 comment:

  1. And,Jesus' genealogy is so rich and full of evidence of God's grace. Every time I read it and realize that Rahab is there, and the offspring of Judah's illicit relations with Tamar, his daughter-in-law, I am reminded that God is in the business of redemption.
    And to think He began this work before the creation of time.

    ReplyDelete