Monday, March 19, 2012

Amazed by Conversation

“Everyone who heard him was amazed at his understanding and his answers.”
-Luke 2:47

Here is Jesus as a child talking with committed religious leaders. The two things that amazed the leaders were his understanding and his answers. The order is significant. Before Jesus could give answers, He needed to demonstrate understanding. Before they asked Him questions, the people He was with needed to feel like He understood what they were discussing.

This is a key to leadership. The first priority must be to gain an understanding of the people and the situation at hand. Then one must demonstrate that understanding to the point that people would want to ask questions. Finally, any answers need to come from the One whose answers always amaze.

Lord, help me gain an understanding. Help me to learn from every email, every phone call and every visit. Increase my capacity for understanding. Help me to hold off on giving my opinion until people are asking for answers....and when I answer, help my answer to come from You.

No comments:

Post a Comment