Monday, June 11, 2012

Whose MInistry is it Anyway?

““My food,” said Jesus, “is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work.”
(John 4:34 NIV)

“They said to the woman, “We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this man really is the Savior of the world.””
(John 4:42 NIV)

The work - what we often call the ministry, belongs wholly and completely to God. It is His will and it is His work. When I lead someone to Christ, it is so that they can hear directly from Him. I want them to be able to say that they no longer believe just because I say so, but because they have heard for themselves. That is one reason why I work to expose people to the scriptures and especially the four life-accounts of Jesus that we call the gospels. I want people to hear from Jesus. And that is in harmony with what the Holy Spirit wants to do. He promises to reveal Jesus to people and also to convict them of sin and righteousness and judgment. I have a role to play in a person coming into God's kingdom. I am to be a fellow traveller and a witness. But God has reserved certain things for himself.

It's an attitude that I need to have. Highly motivated to do the work of God and complete whatever task He gives me coupled with a deep conviction and understanding that all of the work is His. He owns it all. It is His work that I am doing. My self worth or esteem should not be wrapped up in it, he has already declared that I am His child. I am a co-laborer with Christ and that is a privilege.

1 comment: